Sunday, May 10, 2015

Planting Time

The shops are bursting with annuals and perennials to sell for planting this time of year. Traditionally, for me, I plant annuals on Mother's Day weekend. I have two reasons for this: one  is that I can get all the flowers I want ( no guilt) and two it is the time to plant in my part of the country (Eastern Washington) when we are free and clear of freezing temperatures for the rest of the growing season.

This picture shows my big pot of pansies planted last fall. The label promised they would survive the winter and, yes, they did. My pansies are blooming among left-over daffodil foliage; a lovely combination!

However, the weather at my house is heating up fast, so these pansies will soon succumb to the heat as they are a cool-weather loving plant. I was originally going to replace the pansies with zinnia seedlings this weekend, but decided to wait another week. They are doing well, I can't bear to pull them out just yet.

Here are my zinnia seedlings I started about six weeks ago waiting to be put in the pots. These pots are facing south, so it gets HOT. Zinnias, a flower native to Mexico, won't mind a bit.

I love the colors of these pansies!

One of the most gorgeous color of pansy I have ever seen!!

What annual flowers are you planting this year?

Happy Day!







No comments:

Post a Comment